Jesus, like I'm supposed to know?

Friday, June 03, 2005

The Rules as They Pertain to Movies

I'll watch pretty much anything. I'm easy to please. When it comes to movies, I have only one rule: no kid killing. There just isn't anything entertaining about the death of children, shown, implied, or otherwise. I realize that some movies are trying to shock, or send an important message about the harsh truths of lives other than my own, but you know what, I don't want to hear it. If kids are dying, tell me what I can do to stop it, but don't show me the pictures.

Few movies, in fact, actually go this far, and for this one little bit of Hollywood formula, I am grateful. It is distressing to me then, that last 3 movies I have seen, until this evening, have broken this rule, and it is, therefore, with great relief, that I watched What The @$&*! Do You Know? You know? Overall, it was crap. Serious crap. They attempted to take the idea of infinite possibility and uncertainty in quantum physics and say, essentially, that you could alter the universe or, at least, your perceived universe, with only your thoughts.

Balderdash!

I was interested in the bits where they talked about experience and behavior enforcing themselves by creating neuron pairing relationships. Also of note was the idea that we become chemically addicted to certain emotions. It makes sense to me that, by recognizing these emotions and the patterns they enforce in our lives, we can change them. This aspect of the universe, at least, we can influence with thought, but do they have some version of AA for those addicted to being love-lorn puppies? What would it be called? Can I find it in the yellowpages?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home