Jesus, like I'm supposed to know?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

News Day

Dems take back the house and maybe the senate, Donald "Rummy" Rumsfeld resigns and... WHAT! Britney is divorcing K-fed?!!!

I spend so much time foolishly monitoring election results and "voting" that I didn't even know!

On a serious note, I know I can be a bit of a nag. I'm vocal about my opinions and when someone starts telling me about their new diamond ring, I can't restrain myself from launching into the conflict diamonds diatribe. I'm trying to get better at biting my tongue. Honest. One thing I'm not going to let up on is voting. Your excuses are lame. Didn't have time? LAME! Hadn't properly researched the questions? LAME! Didn't like either candidate LAME! (vote independent then). I know, your day gets busy and you had the best intentions, but then it seems to come between the things you need to get done in your life, and making it to the polls. Maybe you didn't have time in the weeks before to study the questions. You probably put it off like me. I'm going to tell you this. Even if you go in and vote on only one issue, or for only one candidate, you must go in. It is your right, your privilege and your responsibility. It does make a difference, and even if you disagree with that, the simple act of showing up for the polls keeps democracy alive. The number of voters casting ballots for one party or another, and just the sheer numbers in general sends a message to the candidates, and to the world at large. You can't read today's news and feel that such messages will be ignored.

I don't mean to sound unnecessarily vitriolic. I'm not judging those who didn't make it to the polls, I'm just arguing with all my heart for you to make it next time. In the mean time, understand that you've lost all rights to complain. This is your country. Participate or shut up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home